Skip to content


Weblog of Yemon Choi: infrequent ramblings and musings on mathematical research and teaching, mostly.

(The name of the weblog is stolen from a rather better writer – and a far better mathematician. Try Googling it in conjunction with the phrase “pleasures of counting”.)

  1. Leandro Martins Cioletti permalink
    17 February, 2010 8:37 am

    [comment deleted since the poster just wanted to get in touch regarding a question on Math Overflow]

  2. 17 April, 2010 1:02 am

    Dear Sir,
    I am mahima (24 yrs old) from India. I am looking for numbers with repeated digits in different bases. I have posted a problem in mathflow. I did not understand solution posted by others. Please, if you don’t mind, answer this following question with kind heart. please….

    Question: As we know that serd means, square of a number ends with repeated digits in different base. can you think about base 12? I am looking at bases of the form 4p where p is
    prime. Can you look at bases of the form 8p? Also generalize or prove it. I have done so far, showing that no square ends with 4444 etc. Please answer the above question with step by step. I am very thankful to you for spending your very valuable time for answering my question.
    Thanking you,
    with LOVE,

    • 17 April, 2010 3:03 am

      Dear Mahima,

      Unfortunately I am not able to help you with your question. This is mainly because of the following:

      1) I do not understand what you mean by “serd” and what connection this is supposed to have to the representation of a given number with respect to various choices of base.

      2) I am, to be frank, not very interested in the type of question which you are asking. This is to some extent a matter of my own personal taste. Nevertheless, please bear in mind that professional mathematicians have their own priorities which they may wish to pursue, and my own background and experience does not lie in areas which I think would help you here.

      3) Your question is also very open-ended, and gives the impression that you want a mathematician to commit themselves to working with you in collaboration or as some kind of advisor. If this is the case, and you are willing to learn new topics as well as solve new problems, then I certainly recommend that you try to find someone with suitable specialist experience who might be interested.

      May I also suggest that you try asking your question at one of the following websites: I have not tried them, but have been told that they may be more productive for you:

      Ask Dr. Math

      Art of Problem Solving


      Good luck with your endeavours.

Comments are closed.

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: